The Irish Whale and Dolphin Group (IWDG) collects and processes personal data as legislated in the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) (EU) 2016/679. The IWDG is fully committed to transparency and ensuring the privacy and security of your data.
- We only collect the personal data required to provide you with the IWDG’s sightings and strandings recording services and membership services.
- The data we collect is stored in a secure manner.
- We will never provide your personal data to third parties for the purposes of marketing or advertising.
- We keep your data on file for as long as is necessary to provide the IWDG’s services to you.
- You can request your data, have it removed or anonymised at any time by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
- Our web-servers/analytics packages log specific data such as IP address/Browser version to track performance and to provide you with a tailored user-experience.
1. The data that we collect
During the IWDG’s normal day-to-day operations, we may collect the following types of data:
- Personal Data
- Telephone Number
- Payment information – this is not stored locally and passes securely over an encrypted connection to our payment provider PayPal
- IP address – Collected automatically by web servers and is not used for anything other than normal day to day ICT operations, such as checking for system errors etc.
- Records of your queries and correspondence with the IWDG, e.g. via email or letter
- Non-Personal Data
- Browser types and cookies – collected automatically by analytics software and websites and not used for anything other than tracking website performance and the provision of a user-friendly interface to end-users.
2. Why do we collect this data?
The IWDG is committed to your privacy. We only collect personal data, where essential, to the provision of the IWDG’s sightings and strandings schemes, courses, expeditions, membership services and IWDG local groups.
As such we may need to collect personal data in following circumstances:
- To store species observations submitted by you via email, Facebook and www.iwdg.ie.
- We may also need to contact you to verify a species sighting or stranding, an IWDG course or trip that you are booked on, if you have agreed to sign up to our membership ezine, one of our local groups' emails and our strandings network.
- To process payments for membership subscriptions, merchandise purchases and courses on the IWDG’s online shop (http://www.iwdg-shop.com/).
- To review job applications made directly to us.
3. How your data is stored
Your personal data is warehoused for the most part in the IWDG’s Head Office in Merchant’s Quay, Kilrush, Co Clare. Your data is stored securely on industry standard fire-walled servers.
4. Additional data that is hosted with our service providers:
- Payment data is hosted with PayPal.
- WordPress sites are hosted on EU servers with StableHost.
- Mailing lists are hosted with MailChimp.
- Email is hosted with Google mail (gmail.com).
- Certain elements of our backup solution are hosted with Google Cloud Services.
- Analytics packages are hosted with Google Analytics and WordPress.
The security of your data and transparency is of the utmost concern to us. Your data will not be transferred to any third-party unless explicitly authorised by you in the following circumstances:
Datasets published on from sightings and strandings submissions are downloadable in CSV format. However, email addresses are never published in these datasets.
Our third-party service providers will have similar pertinent data policies in place.
Any personal data we collect is solely for the provision of the IWDG’s services to you. We will never provide your personal data to third parties for the purposes of marketing or advertising.
5. How long is your data kept?
We maintain data for as long as required to enable the provision of the IWDG’s services to you and comply with guidelines from the Revenue Commissioners (for accounting services).
6. What about security?
The IWDG will take all reasonable steps to ensure that the security and integrity of your personal data is maintained always.
7. What are your rights?
If you have concerns regarding your data then you can make reasonable requests to see this information, rectify it or have it deleted/anonymised, please contact us via email at email@example.com.
8. If you would prefer for your data to be removed or anonymised
If you would prefer that your data be removed or anonymised, then please contact the IWDG via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our websites may store some information on your computer in the form of a “Cookie”.
A Cookie is a small text file that is saved locally to your computer and permits us to provide you with a more tailored user experience. You have a right to refuse to accept cookies by blocking them in your internet browser. However, you may then experience a reduced user experience should since certain web pages may not be able to maintain your selected preference between page re-loads etc.