Spanish whale dies after ingesting plastic debris

12th Mar 2013

Experts who examined a dead sperm whale washed ashore in southern Spain have confirmed that it died from a blockage in the stomach caused by ingesting plastic debris. The full story can be seen at;
 

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/mar/08/spain-sperm-whale-death-swallowed-plastic

Sperm whales Physeter macrocephalus are the largest of the Odontocetes or toothed whales and are recorded stranded in small numbers around the Irish coast in most years.

Mick O'Connell,

IWDG Strandings Officer.